Saturday, January 7, 2012

The etiquette of Tea

My dad was born in England and grew up all over Europe. As his daughter I am considered a citizen of England as well as the U.S., though I have never really claimed my British citizenship. I have, however, always felt a strong desire to understand and respect the British way. I have payed attention to the British rules of etiquette that I encountered mostly in recreational literature, but also in intentional research. Yes, I admit I have read every bit of Jane Austin I can get my hands on, and I have spent time nerding around on British websites to find out how to "properly" do this or that. But, my passion in British etiquette is, with out a doubt, Tea. This post is going to be short compilation of what I have learned about a proper Tea and is by no means a comprehensive and flawless guide. If I were, let's say,  invited to Tea with the royal family, I freely admit I would be terrified. I am writing this anyway though, because I consider my knowledge to be above average for an American. I have seen some very interesting things go on at Tea in the U.S. such as- lasagna?? :/  And, to be perfectly honest... I am procrastinating cleaning my house.
My dad bought me a piece of property in Glencoe Scotland this year, and with it, I received the landowners of "Lady". I will go ahead and attach that to my name now so as to sound more official. Here you go...

Lady Pamela's Rules of Tea Etiquette
~ A guide for Americans

First of all, there are many various types of Tea from "Morning" to "Afternoon" to Evening or "High" Tea. The history of these Tea's are quite complicated and too intricate for this particular guide - for more information I suggest trying to sort it out for yourself over google perhaps. Just be careful of the American sites. They are filled with misinformation. *Note that is is an American site and therefore I have just discredited my own information... Moving on...

Afternoon Tea is what most of us are familiar with if we have been to a formal Tea of any kind. Sometimes they are advertised as "High" Tea on the menus of fancy American hotels and Restaurants. This is probably because it sounded like the more formal and ritzy option. In fact, it is quite the opposite. High Tea is actually served later in the day and is more of a regular meat and potatoes kind of dinner with tea. Afternoon Tea is the fancy British custom we were thinking of and, it is served between the hours of 2:00 and 5:00.  The point is, if you find yourself at a "High" Tea between the hours of 2:00 and 5:00, you can now feel superior in your knowledge that obviously someone was misinformed. 

At the thus inappropriately named "High" Tea (which is actually Afternoon Tea) you can expect to encounter a few things: the first obviously being tea, and then also a variety of delicate finger foods.  There are several various subtitles for Afternoon Tea which will tell you, if you take the time to remember them all, whether you will be offered a glass of champagne at the beginning or sherry at the end of the tea, how many courses you will be served, etc. From my research, an Afternoon Tea requires only ONE utensil no matter the number of courses - a spoon.
Traditionally the courses would consist of savories first, scones next, and then dessert. As I said before, no utensil is required other than a spoon. If you see a knife and fork you can shake your head with an air of superiority (once again) at the poor misguided souls around you. Also, scones are not triangles contrary to popular opinion. They are not supposed to be cut with a knife. They are very buttery and sweet, not baked with fruit or anything else inside. They are ROUND and biscuit-like and much more delicious than the typical American atrocity we have the nerve to call by the same name. They are meant to be pulled apart with toppings such as clotted cream, jam or lemon curd SPOONED on top. Tirade abating... Cookies are "biscuits", so don't be confused. 

The Tea itself is the most complicated part so I will try my best, but it won't be thorough. Water is brought to a rolling boil, poured into a tea pot, swirled around and dumped out - this is just to warm the pot. The tea is then put in the pot with boiling water - not sure which first, but black loose-leaf is tea is preferred. This is allowed to steep and then poured into the tea cups. Everyone seems to be in dispute over what goes into the tea cup first - milk or lemon, sugar, tea... Some say milk first if desired, then tea, then sugar. Some say sugar first, then tea, etc... this is a debate which I have zero interest in entering as I just don't care. However, I do know that my vote wouldn't mean much considering I like my tea with vanilla cream which is very taboo. Rebellious me. Lemons are to be sliced, not wedged. and obviously, you have either milk or lemon - not both. When stirring your tea don't clink the glass with your spoon. Don't slurp. And, IF you absolutely must place your pinky out to help balance the cup, be subtle about it, for peete's sake! A gently raised and curvy pinky is generally acceptable while the stick straight, "look at me I'm an American drinking tea" pinky is fairly obnoxious. Also, try to practice good posture and, when in doubt, look around for someone as British as possible and just try to follow. 

There you have it. Hope is was helpful. I think I will clean my house and make some proper scones now. :D



2 comments:

  1. Dear Lady Pamela,

    Well now all I can think about is how badly I want to try a legit (proper?) scone. Can we get a recipe in a future post perhaps?

    I'm glad to see I have been making tea properly though, thanks to much internet research of course.

    Peasant Krissy

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful post, Lady Pamela!

    ReplyDelete