Monday, July 9, 2012

Brussel Sprouts



I have been wanting to write this post for a long time. After dinner tonight I decided to just go ahead and get my pictures and get it done. It is actually a recipe, one that I am very passionate about. Because, you see, brussel sprouts have a bad rap. It’s sad really. They are almost universally hated by children at least, and considering the size of the brussel sprout section at the store, by most adults as well. Poor misguided souls have been steaming and boiling them for so long it’s no wonder they cause contention at the dinner table. Well, in our house it is different. Here, they are one of the favorites. But, it’s all in how you make them. And, we make them German style. It’s actually a recipe that my dad discovered and shared with me a few years ago. Its the perfect side to just about any meat dish. Dad and I like them next to beer soaked German sausages covered in caramelized onions. But, they also go nicely with just about any steak. Tonight I made them to go with country fried steak and smashed red potatoes and gravy. Oh my. It was so good. I wish you could taste it. Well, you probably believe me on the steak and potatoes, but you’ll have to take my word on the sprouts. And, please do. Just make them and see. They take about 20 minutes. 
So, first. You need a cutting board. These Brussel sprouts are chopped.


Step 1. Remove any of the top leaves that need to come off.


Step 2. Start chopping. They look like little shredded lettuce's. (Discard the ends)


Step 3. Butter - A tablespoon or 2 in a frying pan over medium high heat. Also a splash of oil. I like olive or sesame.


(You will also need a cup of chicken broth - I like to use "better than bouillon" to make mine. You can add a some white wine or beer if desired.)


Step 4.  Add the Sprouts to the hot pan and stir.


 Step 5. Season how you like - salt, pepper, garlic... Stir and watch your sprouts. When they brighten up and soak in the butter...


Step 6. Add your cup of chicken broth. Stir and let simmer till the liquid cooks almost all the way down. It takes several minutes.


Step 7. Alcohol - If you like a little kick, throw in a splash of wine or beer at the very end. It cooks down almost immediately and adds some great flavor. 


Step 8. Enjoy!! And, spread the word. Together we can stop the hate. :) These are great little veggies - and good for you too!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting I am going to try them and see what Rick thinks. They look yummy!

    ReplyDelete